Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Unchained Heroes and the Real Time Combat Engine.
What does Real Time Combat Engine mean?
- Real Time Combat Engine is the name we give to the dynamic turn system that Unchained Heroes uses. The Real Time Combat Engine (RTC Engine) uses a Combat Timeline and Time Intervals to keep track of actions rather than a round robin turn system. Players may find they can perform 2, 3, or even 4 actions at times before the next opponent performs an action. We call it Real Time Combat, because it emulates the feel of a real combat scenario more accurately. It is not a LARP system or a system that requires stopwatches. See an in-depth explanation here.
Where can I get the game?
- The Digital Version has been released as of April 2nd, 2015. You can find links where to Buy it Here.
- The Print Version has been released as of June 10th, 2015. The direct link to DriveThruRPG Print-on-Demand is here.
What formats does it come in?
- It will be sold in a Full Color, High Quality PDF, a Full Color Premium Softcover, Full Color Standard Hardcover, and Full Color Premium Hardcover. Unchained Heroes is considered a Core Rulebook, it is 352 pages and contain everything you need to play.
What’s the difference between Standard and Premium Color?
- This is best answered with some pictures. DrivethruRPG covers this pretty well, so follow the link below to see the difference. They are the same artwork and page count, just different paper and color. The most notable difference is the coloring in the Standard Version; reds will not be quite as deep and blacks will be a shade or two lighter than a Premium Color. http://support.drivethrurpg.com/entries/23834863-What-is-the-difference-between-Premium-Color-and-Standard-Color-
Any idea on the price?
- They will be inline with similar RPG offerings:
- High Quality Bookmarked PDF will be 10.00 USD
- Premium Hardcover will be 59.99 USD, has the best picture and paper quality (pretty thick) with a very sturdy glossy hard cover.
- Premium Softcover will be 54.99 USD, has the best picture and paper quality (pretty thick) with a standard glossy soft cover.
- Standard Hardcover will be 39.99 USD, has good picture quality, paper is thinner stock, it has a very sturdy glossy hard cover, and lays out well on the tabletop.
- Comparison link: Premium Color vs Standard Color Comparison
Is it compatible with other game systems?
- Yes and no. Yes, because Unchained Heroes has familiar d20 underpinnings. No, because no other combat system uses the Real Time Combat Engine. Unchained Heroes can adapt and be adapted to any game system, but it works best currently with Pathfinder game modules.
Can I make content for Unchained Heroes?
- Yes. You will be free to develop content for Unchained Heroes. The only rights I will reserve will be specific names, locations, settings, pictures, and other “original content” as is typical game system language. We have an System Resource Document to show our commitment to this philosophy.
What’s the SRD and why are you making one?
- The Unchained Heroes SRD stands for System Resource Document. I made an SRD because I want people to play and create for Unchained Heroes, plain and simple. It is everything that could be considered comparable to an OGL in the Core Rulebook and a few extras. You get the core tools to play and run a campaign for free.
- You can get it at DriveThruRPG here.
Why would I want the fancy book if you are offering it for free?
- The Unchained Heroes Fantasy Core Rulebook is a 8.5″x 11″ page format in two columns that contains over 150 pages of extra content that you won’t find in the SRD. There are more classes, a host of magical items, unique character stories, advice sections, a Bestiary of ready-made monsters, beautiful illustrations, and you will be able to get it as a Hardcover or Softcover book in addition to the PDF form (SRD will be PDF only).
Where can I get material to play Unchained Heroes?
- The current Play Kit which includes Pre-generated characters, Character Sheets, and Combat Timelines for Unchained Heroes and the Real Time Combat Engine Document. They can all be reached through our Downloads Page.
Our Downloads Page is your One-stop location to download supplemental content to use with the Unchained Heroes Fantasy Core Rulebook. We have Character Sheets in printable and fillable versions, Combat Timelines, an introductory Adventure, and a link to the SRD. Pre-generated Characters can be found on our Google+ Community Page under the “Supplemental Content” Link.
Unchained Heroes Character Sheets (Print Version)
Two Page Character Sheet Spread in PDF format. Use them for your games as you wish.
Unchained Heroes Combat Timeline (50 TI)
This Combat Timeline has 8 Combat Timelines and spans 50 Time Intervals.
Unchained Heroes Combat Timeline (100 TI)
This Combat Timeline has 8 Combat Timelines and spans 100 Time Intervals.
Unchained Heroes Adventures
This section contains all the free Adventure content available for the Unchained Heroes.
- Adventure – Prison Break (Short Draft Version) – An adventure designed for 1st level Characters that is adaptable to any setting.
The Google Drive Supplemental Content Folder
This folder has everything available through the link in the G+ Community. It leads to a shared Google Drive folder where you can download all our additional content in one spot.
Real Time Combat Engine Documentation
This document contains all the information regarding the Real Time Combat Engine, so you may use this dynamic action system for your game.
The Unchained Heroes System Resource Document (Digital Version Only)
This digital resource contains all the details necessary to play the Unchained Heroes Tabletop RPG. The System Rules, Core Classes, and Core Species are all here for you and FOR FREE!read more
Unchained Heroes takes the F20 game architecture in a different direction, moving into new territories for the hobby, where actions are dynamic, options are prevalent, and the roleplaying/combat spectrum is united in one system, but separated into different tracks. Playing Unchained Heroes is about getting as much of a game as you want, without the need to sacrifice roleplaying for combat or combat for roleplaying; the system gives you both in equal measure.
Unchained Heroes uses a dynamic action system — the Real Time Combat Engine — to provide intense, action-packed, and tactical encounters that will satisfy your RPG combat cravings. The powers at your disposal are mighty and spectacular: toss your shield to deflect a sword strike the moment before it hits your ally, ignite the seed of magic in your foes to burn them from the inside out, create magnetic fields that makes metal too heavy to wield, and rip the earth apart, forming great crevasses to swallow your enemies whole. Through it all, you control a Dynamic Battlefield by using Abilities that reshape your surroundings for your benefit or to hinder your foes; mix and match your powers to form incredible combos and spectacular effects.
You will be as powerful off the Battlefield as you are upon it. There is no need to sacrifice your combat prowess to choose a worthwhile Roleplaying Action, you get a separate progression for your miraculous powers of Resurrection, Shapeshifting, and Mind-Reading. The Unchained Heroes Talent System allows you to bestow a curse that implants terrifying visions of death, rewrite the neural pathways of a person to implant them with another, and trap those that might telepathically attack your mind in an abyssal prison. They are available as you level and as rewards from your GM; find them in an old wizard’s spellbook as well as through deep meditation.
Unchained Heroes offers you:
- All-in-One Core Rulebook: Player Guide, GM Guide, and Bestiary in one
- Control over an imprisoned Titan as a Dread Knight
- The Chance to Follow the Paths of the Ascension, Abyssal, or Balance Cleric
- The next Evolutionary Stage of the Human Species as Cerebrals
- Mischievous Ogres being the foil and counterparts to the serious Elves
- Replayability through 10 Hero Classes, each with an incredible amount of options
- Powerful Roleplaying powers called Talents that are exciting to attain
- Harness a Story Based Leveling and Treasure System for your narrative
Multiple Format Choices:
- High Resolution PDF and Tablet Optimized PDF packaged for your use
- Hardcover, Softcover, Standard, Premium Color versions to match your needs
Here are Unchainedheroes.com, we explore all these things and more. Click on a link to find what the Unchained Heroes RPG has to offer you!
- Core Mechanics
- No More Turns
- Combat Timeline in Action
- Unchained Heroes “Need to Know” Basics
- Advanced Rules
- Roleplaying Rules
The Unchained Heroes Product Line
The Gigas is an all new Hero Class for the Unchained Heroes Tabletop Roleplaying Game. Become something greater than you once were, transform into Gaia’s Avatar; the source of Her experiences in the World. Gain Her might and power to shake the earth, tap into the forces of nature, and match the powers of fae creatures. Get your copy by clicking on the picture to the left!
- Introduces the Awakening mechanics into the Unchained Heroes RPG, alterring your Species.
- Harness the weapons of Gaia: tooth, claw, and the very earth.
- Control the battlefield with amazing battlefield effects that shake the ground and toss your foes about.
The Necromancer is an all new Hero Class for the Unchained Heroes Tabletop Roleplaying Game. Summon the dead to fight by your side, possess the living as a wraith, and transform into a giant monster that can crush foes with its bare hands. With this new Supplement, you get New Talents, New Techniques, and New Abilities. Get your copy by clicking on the picture to the left!
- Introduces the first summoning mechanics into the Unchained Heroes RPG.
- Harness ectoplasm to change into Necromantic forms of The Monster and The Wraith.
- Control the battlefield with amazing battlefield effects that create carrion fields and flood the land with darkness.
The Unchained Heroes Fantasy Core Rulebook – Print and Digital Versions
The Unchained Heroes Tabletop Role-Playing Game uses the Real Time Combat Engine, getting rid of the “waiting for your turn” mentality. Those that wield a dagger attack quickly and deal small amounts of damage in frequent intervals, while those that wield a great hammer find their swings infrequent, but connect with great force. When you open this book you gain access to Abyssal Clerics with dark powers over negative energies, Dread Knights that control chained Titans, remarkable Oracles that lay bare a person’s mind, sneaky Rogues that strike at your greatest weak point, and much more!
Recommended for Ages 12+
Unchained Heroes can be found in Digital and Print versions! Pick your favorite medium (and site) below:
The Unchained Heroes Fantasy Core Rulebook – Digital Version
- Find it at d20pfsrd.com: http://shop.d20pfsrd.com/products/unchained-heroes-fantasy-core-rulebook
- Find it at DriveThruRPG: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/146673/Unchained-Heroes-Fantasy-Core-Rulebook
The Unchained Heroes Fantasy Core Rulebook – Print Version
If you are interested in a print version of Unchained Heroes, you can get them through any of the OneBookShelf sites via Print on Demand by clicking on the picture to the left! Questions about Unchained Heroes Print Versions? Check out our FAQ Page.
(Only Available at DriveThruRPG)
The Unchained Heroes System Resource Document (Digital Version Only)
When you open this digital resource you will find all the details necessary to play the Unchained Heroes Tabletop RPG. The System Rules, Core Classes, and Core Species are all here for you and FOR FREE! This is offered as part of our commitment to make Unchained Heroes available to anyone that would like to play it.
DriveThruRPG is the only location you will find our System Resource Document. Click on the link below to get your copy!read more